Style Scheme: A Kitchen Inspired by The Sea
August 15, 2018
Text by Lynda Simonton
Love the feeling of spending time by the ocean? Nina Hackel, the owner of Dream Kitchens, has a recipe for creating a kitchen that evokes the beauty of the sea, so you can get your ocean fix even if you are landlocked. Glass is a key element in Hackel’s design, with a mosaic backsplash featuring watery blues and grays and bespoke glass cabinet doors in a similar palette. The ocean reference doesn’t stop with color—the stools and even the faucet have shapes that suggest a cresting wave.
This kitchen is as practical as it is pretty. Navy-blue base cabinets resist scuffs and soiling while sand-colored uppers make the room feel light and airy. Contrasting countertops in the same blue and sand palette add energy and are hard-wearing to boot. The final hit of functionality? Kohler’s Prolific sink with graduated ledges to host accessories like a cutting board and colander—this is a get-it-done sink!
1. Miyu pendant light by LBL Lighting
2. Custom-stained glass doors, Renaissance Glassworks, Nashua, N.H., renaissanceglass.com
3. Kohler’s Prolific under-mount sink with accessories
4. Tresses mosaic tile by Artistic Tile
5. Grohe’s Ladylux3 cafe faucet
6. Johnston Casuals Lido bar stool
7. Quartz Plus Calacatta Royale
8. Luxor Collection cabinets
9. Brass Blue granite
Unless otherwise noted, all items are available through Dream Kitchens in Nashua, NH
Nina Hackel, Dream Kitchens, Nashua, N.H., 603-891-2916, adreamkitchen.com